Thursday, July 1, 2010

Day 1: Mind the gap

Hello all,

I am going to try to keep some sort of collection of my journey in this 'blog' format. We will see how successful I actually am.

Firstly, I arrived in London at approx. 10 AM GMT (5 AM where it actually matters). after a long walk and then a short stop through customs, I boarded the "Tube" (UK English for cramped) and an hour later strolled into my hotel room. At this point I proceeded to fall asleep for six hours whilst dreaming of the places (pubs) I would see (and the beers I would drink).

Upon waking up, I realized I had not had a proper meal since my breakfast on the airplane (that is probably the best joke I will ever write). So I took the "lift" down to the "lobby" where a friendly "consierge" promptly gave me strange directions in a German/British accent and I wound up in Fitzroy square listening to an annual "open air" opera: La Traviata. I subsequently found a nice little Italian Restaurant on the corner where siesta is not just a Spanish word, and enjoyed a nice, fire-grilled pizza and a glass of red wine while listening to a wonderful production of a Verdi composition.

I will be moving into my flat on Saturday and will thus have a more stable base of operation from which to keep everyone who cares updated (also those who don't care). Until next time, cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment